Aldea, Lupulo, Bica, New York
Recipe: Salt Cod, Potato, and Egg Casserole
Preheat the oven to 325F (165C) with an oven racks set 6 inches (15cm) from the broiler and one set in the center.
Heat Dutch Oven
Heat a small (4 quart/3.8L) cocotte or Dutch oven over medium heat. Coat the bottom with oil. Add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, and a coat the bottom with oil. Add the onions, garlic, bay leaves and a big pinch of salt. Stir well, cover , and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown and very tender, about 10 minutes.
- As needed extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small white onions, quartered and very thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves 6, thinly sliced
- 2 fresh bay leaves, 2 notches torn every ½ inches (12mm)
- To taste kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Meanwhile, cover the salt cod with oil in a medium skillet. Heat over medium heat, stirring gently, until heated through, about 1 minute.
- 2 ounces (360 g) basic salt cod flaked into ½ inch pieces
Peel the potatoes and use a mandoline to cut them lengthwise into 1/16 inch (2mm) slices. Don’t rinse them; you want all that starch.
Transfer the onions to a bowl. Discard the bay leaves. Coat the bottom of the cocotte with oil and sprinkle salt and pepper over the oil. Cover the bottom of the cocotte with a layer of potatoes, overlapping the slices slightly. Season with salt, then cover with a thin layer of the onions and 1 tablespoon of the olives. Now layer potatoes, salt pepper, oil, onions, salt olives and 1 cup (180g) of the salt cod. Use a spatula to press down hard on the layers. Top with a layer of the egg slices, drizzle with oil, sprinkle with pepper, and add another layer of potatoes. Press hard again. For the final layering: add salt, oil, pepper and last of the onions, olives, salt cod, egg slices, and potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, drizzle with oil and press down hard with your hand to get as compact and even as possible.
- 2 large yukon gold potatoes
- ½ cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced crosswise plus more for garnish
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs – cut into 1/3 inches (8 mm) slices
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves, very finely chopped
Cover and bake on the center rack until the top is lightly browned and the potatoes are tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Spoon out any excess oil, then sprinkle with the parsley and more sliced olives. Adjust the oven to the broil setting. Broil the casserole until the top is golden brown.
Let cool slightly before cutting into pieces.